Friday, November 16, 2012

Human Beings Are Getting Dumber

Finally, it's been proven. I've been saying this all along, but nobody believed me :)

A Stanford University researcher named Gerald Crabtree has published a two part paper where he claims that modern technology is making us humans dumber.

Back in the day, at a time when humans were still hunter gatherers, life wasn't easy. It was tough to survive, and human had to used their ingenuity for survival. Brain power was used and the more you used it, the more developed it got. Because of this thinking power, humans developed various tools and technologies to make their lives easier. This also increased their chances of survival, and thus made a dent in the process of natural selection. The result was that a subset of humans who should have been taken out, survived.

I don't think that humans are getting dumb. If we were, we wouldn't be developing all these awesome technology we are using, or inventing new ways to make our lives easier and better. However I do think that  we are beginning to rely on technology a little too much. So much so that we are forgetting the basics. The question we should ask is that if the technology fails us, would we be able to survive. When that day comes we will see who the real survivalists are.

I love technology and learning about the new things that is out there and the emerging technologies, but I'm not an avid user. I still like doing things the old fashion way. However I don't think I'll survive as a hunter gatherer, or even a farmer. I need those damn supermarkets :P

Time article
ScienceDirect





No comments: