Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Recently Read: Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz

Spoiler alert :)

I only recently discovered Dean Koontz. I picked up another book by his called Odd Thomas at the British Council just before I came here, but couldn't finish it before I left. So when I came across this one at a bargain price, I thought I'd have a go at it.

Twilight Eyes revolves around a young man called Slim, who is psychic. In addition to having premonitions, his greatest gift, or curse, depending on how you see it, is that he can see "goblins". Goblins are what he has named  animal like creatures who has the ability to transform into human form and live as normal humans, but in reality they live off human misery. Because of Slim's gift, he is able to see through the disguise and see their true nature. There are few other character in the story who can see, or feel the goblins, so with there help Slim goes to battle with the Goblins.

To me it is basically the good vs. evil story. The goblins are the bad guys who create various disasters around the world. They do this because they feed off the misery of the humans caused by their actions. However it also explores the fact that humans are in a constant path of self destruction. our never ending lust for power will eventually bring about our own destruction. In addition, it also deals with the differences of people, and how some people are more accepting of these differences than others. Well, that's how I feel anyway.

I have only read one and half Dean Koontz books, so I really can't comment on his other works, but these two are mellow compared to something by Stephen King.

Anyway, it is a good read, and should give it a chance.

In a non related matter, I found a a graphic novel of Terry Pratchett's Color of Magic and Light Fantastic at the used bookshop, so woo hoo :)

Dean Koontz official site
Twilight Eyes Wiki page
Amazon Link


No comments: