Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Where have all the Kohas gone?

No, seriously where are they? Haven’t heard a peep out of them this season, except maybe one or two lone rangers. Oh sweet song bird, have you forsaken us also?

I asked the same thing two years back, but this time, I’ve heard them less than that time. Well I guess it’s no surprise. What can the concrete jungles of Colombo offer them? They too must have packed up their bags and gone in search of greener pastures, literally.

Who can blame them? Trees are becoming a rarity in Colombo now, with concrete pillars replacing them. The air saturated with dust and smog, the sweet smell of diesel and garbage wafting around. Even if the Koha’s do sing, how can they even compete with the constant tooting of horns? It’s enough to drive anyone nuts.

Unfortunately, Colombo is a necessary evil. It is the engine that runs the country. An engine which provides good returns to its minions who toil for her.

Call me old fashioned, but I yearn for a beautiful little place somewhere in the hills. My other favourite is somewhere down south with a beach front, but then again, I already live close to the beach and I’m not a big fan of the heat. The hills win by a considerable margin. It won’t happen in the near future, since I’m broke, but it will happen someday. I too will follow the Kohas to greener pastures.

I guess this Avurudu is going to be low key, with all this economic woes hanging over our heads.




Image Credit: www.imagelanka.com

6 comments:

Dili said...

Trust me on this, you'll hear them in May :) Just wait.

But you're right. Doesnt feel like Avurudu this time. TBH the past few Avurudu havent really felt like Avurudu.

Lady divine said...

Dili might be right..:)

actually one of the Indians in my office asked me the same thing.. her asked where the kohas were... hmmm..

Delilah said...

wow. i just realised i havent heard a single koha this year. but i must admit i didnt even miss em till i saw this post.

Azrael said...

@Dili - Yeah, maybe they are just late bloomers. True, not very Avurudu like time.

@ LD & Delilah - See, the buggers have gone AWOL...

Dee said...

must be climate change :(

pissu perera said...

please tell that to the koha who live on the tree outside my window and insists on his bloody mating calls at 3 o clock in the morning. i kid you not!