Thursday, January 18, 2007

Jumping Jacks

The big news these days is that a bunch of opposition MP’s are crossing over to the government side, and I think they are getting ministerial portfolios as well. Call me dumb but, ummmm… who exactly is running the country?

Ok this is not something new in good old SL is it? We should be worried if opposition MP’s DO NOT CROSSOVER.

To tell you the truth I really don’t get politics. Forgive me if I’m too stupid to understand it. But I think it just silly, especially SL politics. You vote for and elect a bunch of people into power with a majority vote. But after a while all this shuffling and jumping over fences happens and suddenly people whom the majority didn’t vote for are in powerful positions. They are practically running the country. Hmmm is there something wrong with this picture, or is this how politics is supposed to work? I thought the whole reason of an opposition is to make sure that the government people don’t get up to nefarious stuff. But when all this jumping around happens it defeats the whole purpose. Further more it removes the necessity for a multiparty system of governing, which in turn defies the whole idea called democracy…ok it’s getting too complicated for me.

Personally I don’t have a high regard for politician or political parties. To me they are all the same. I really don’t care who runs the country as long as they work to solve problems, develop the country and better the lives of the people. The trick is trying to figure out who will do these things come election time. I look at politics like a three ring circus where everybody wants to be the ring master, but without any performers. Anyway let’s hope that all this jumping around will be beneficial for the common man. All hail the Jumping Jacks!

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
Ronald Reagan (1911 - 2004)

No comments: