Friday, November 10, 2006

Oliver!

I know it’s been a coupla weeks since this happened but you know how time always gets in the way of life…

For those that don’t know what I’m talking about, Oliver! was the latest production by the Workshop Players that went on the boards during October @ the Wendt. As for me, I had the fortunate experience of participating in this wonderful project (Not acting mind you, but front of house). Mainly because some of my friends were acting and working backstage and to them I say thanks for dragging me into it.

Let me clear something up first. I am not a hardcore theater buff. I didn’t even like theater when I was in school. I got interested in plays and drama after sitting through a performance of the “Lion King” (Workshop Players of course). That also happened because a friend of mine was acting in it and he made some threats. But after watching that amazing production let’s say that I saw the light. So I don’t have the academic qualifications or whatever to criticize them and I’ll leave that to the professionals. I’m just your everyday Joe who likes to catch a play whenever time permits. I personally don’t like to compare one production with another coz each one is unique. Different stories, different directors and different casts. It maybe the same story but depending on the people involved it can have many different interpretations. Of course you may have some ideas about how things should be done, but that’s beside the point. Note them down for the time when you get to direct a play (like that will happen before hell freezes over!!!). I always think of them as something new and approach it with an open mind and so far enjoyed all that I have watched. But then again it all depends on the tastes of the individual as well. Maybe I’m too dumb to analyze and scrutinize, but that’s ok. I just want to be entertained.

Earlier as an audience member I didn’t quite fully appreciate the work that goes into to putting a production on boards. You only get to see two hours of a final product resulting from months of very hard work. But after hanging around backstage with Oliver I have a whole new perspective on these plays. I mean the dedication of these guys and gals are amazing, even the little kids. (Ashamed to say that I don’t work that hard!!!). And to thinks they all do it while balancing work or school. Why do they do it? Simply because they love it. At the end of everything they may not get paid, but they have a priceless satisfaction of doing something amazing.

As for the play what can I say? Truly amazing!!! Stupéfier!!! Überraschen!!! el sorprender!!! Better than Broadway (Of course I’ve never been to Broadway, but I suspect this would have been better) and I’m sure a lot of people who came will agree with me. No point in going on about it coz everybody knows that it was marvelous.

Salute to all the Workshop Players and Jerome De Silva for a great job done well!!!

Can’t wait for the next production

Cheers!!!

No comments: